Historical and Commemorative Medals
Collection of Benjamin Weiss


WYON, Joseph Shepherd & Alfred Benjamin: England, 1884, Bronze, 76 mm
Obv: Interior of Council Chamber surrounded by scroll work, with wreath of oak and arms of the City, below. On left: THE NEW COUNCIL CHAMBER.  On right: GUILDHALL LONDON  Below: OPENED 2ND OCTOBER 1884
Rev: The City, supported on right by Commerce, on left by Magistracy, is addressing a council attended by Liberty, Liberality and Learning (seated)
Exergue: Cap of Maintenance above an oak wreath and City sword and Mace entwined with a ribband bearing the City motto: DOMINE DIRIGE NOS (Lord, Direct Us)
Signed: J.S. & A.B. WYON
Mintage: 400
Set of 2 medals in original case of issue (see Appendix)
Ref: Welch 19; BHM 349/3177; Eimer 199/1705; Taylor 206a;  Weiss BW296

The New Council Chamber of the Guildhall was erected on the site of an ancient building which is believed to have previously housed the Common Council Chamber, the Court of Exchequer and part of the Chamberlain's office. The foundation stone was laid on April 20, 1883. The building, which was opened in 1884, was designed by the City architect, Sir Horace Jones. (Brown)
Sir Horace Jones (1819-1887) was Architect of the City of London from 1864 to 1887. Besides this building, Jones designed many major public buildings, offices and shops in London, including the Smithfield Market, the Guildhall Free Library and Museum and, with the engineer J. Wolfe Barry, the Tower Bridge. (Taylor)