Historical and Commemorative
Collection of Benjamin Weiss
OPENING OF BLACKFRIARS BRIDGE AND HOLBORN VALLEY
ADAMS, George Gammon: England, 1869, Bronze, 76 mm
Obv: Queen Victoria (l) VICTORIA D:G:BRIT:REGINA F:D:
Rev: Two wreaths, the lower one inverted, joined at the center by a shield with the arms of the City of London.
Within the upper wreath is a view of Farringdon Street Bridge of the Holborn Viaduct
inscribed: HOLBORN VIADUCT. Within the
lower wreath is a view of Blackfriars Bridge crossing the Thames
inscribed: BLACKFRIARS BRIDGE. On the left is Londinia (the City of London), on
the right is Britannia with shield and trident.
Signed: G.G. ADAMS SC.
Boxed set of 2 medallions (see
Ref: Welch 11; BHM 279/2906; Eimer 189/1604: Weiss BW003
The original Blackfriars Bridge was completed in 1769 and was
demolished in 1864. The new bridge was designed by Joseph Cubitt and H. Carr
with the foundation stone laid by the Lord Mayor in 1867. The bridge was opened in 1869 at the same time as the
Holborn Viaduct. The Holborn Viaduct, which was designed by William Heywood, was constructed to span the valley of the river Fleet.
LINK to detailed description of
Viaduct by Bob Speel.