Historical and Commemorative
Collection of Benjamin Weiss
ST. MICHAEL AND
ST. GUDULE AT BRUSSELS
WIENER, Jacques: Belgium, 1845, Bronze, 50 mm
In 1047 the Duke of Brabant, Lambert II, had the relics of Saint Gudula transferred from the Saint Gorik church in downtown Brussels to a new church which had been built on Treurenberg hill. Over the years, this church, now known as the Cathedral of Sts. Michael and Gudule, has been expanded until now is the major church in Brussels and is considered the national church of Belgium.
St. Gudule church was originally built in the Romanesque style but was transformed into Gothic style in the 13th century. The gothic choir was constructed between 1226 and 1276, and the nave and transept in the middle of the 15th century. The western facade, completed between 1450 and 1490, follows the example of the French gothic facades.
This church is considered to be one of the finest specimens of pointed Gothic and is particularly noted for its 13th-15th century stained glass.
See LINK (http://www.belgiumview.com) for additional information and photos of the exterior and interior of the church.