Historical and Commemorative Medals
Collection of Benjamin Weiss

 ST. BAVON AT GHENT

WIENER, Jacques and Leopold: Belgium, 1846, Bronze, 50 mm
Obv: View of exterior    Around:  CONSACREE A ST JEAN JUSQUE 1540, LA CRYPTE CONSTRUITE 941, LE CHOEUR 1274, LA TOUR 1462 CELEBRE PAR LE BAPTEME DE CHARLES QUINT 1500 PAR DEUX CHAPITRES DE LA TOISON D'OR 1445 ET 1559 PAR DES CHEFS-D'OEUVRE DE JEAN ET HUBERT VAN EYCK D'OTTO VENIUS DE RUBENS DE DUQUESNOY
Exergue: EGLISE ST BAVON A GAND
Rev: View of interior
Signed On left: J. ET L. WIENER FEC. 1846    On right: P. J. GOETGHEBUER DEL.
Ref: Van Hoydonck 17;  Europese Penningen # 75q; Reinecke 9; Weiss BW236

Ghent is the capital of East Flanders, Belgium. It has retained more traces of its past than any other Belgian town. Among the old buildings grouped together at its center is the Gothic cathedral of St. Bavon. The cathedral was begun in the 12th century and was finished in the 16th century when its tower was completed. It contains, among many famous works of art, the great polyptych altarpiece The Ghent Alterpiece.

LINK to The Ghent Alterpiece by Hubert and Jan van Eyck (from WebMuseum)

HOME PAGE