Historical and Commemorative Medals
Collection of Benjamin Weiss

 ST. AUBAIN AT NAMUR

WIENER, Jacques and Leopold: Belgium, 1846, Bronze, 50 mm
Obv: View of exterior    EGLISE CATHEDRALE DE ST AUBAIN A NAMUR
Exergue: RECONSTRUITE 1750 ACHEVEE 1767 RENFERME LE MAUSOLEE DE DON JUAN D'AUTRICHE
Rev: View of interior    On left:  INTERIEUR DE L'EGLISE    On right:  ST AUBAIN
Signed: J. ET L. WIENER FEC. 1846
Ref: Van Hoydonck 22;  Reinecke 13; Weiss BW241

In 1047, Albert II, Count of Namur, caused the erection of a collegiate church on the site of an ancient chapel .  The first dean, Frederick of Lorraine secured from the chapter of Mainz a portion of the head of the martyr St. Aubain.  Accordingly, the collegiate church took the name of St. Aubain the Martyr.  In 1429 Count John III sold the countship to Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. Thenceforth, until the French Revolution, Namur belonged to the House of Burgundy-Austria, except during the years 1692-95, when it was occupied by Louis XIV. Charles the Bold, Philip the Fair, Charles V, Albert and Isabella all took the oath in the sanctuary of St. Aubain. This church thus held a most important place in the political life of the country. It was rebuilt as the cathedral Saint Aubain at Namur in the eighteenth century after the model of St. Peter's at Rome.  Don John of Austria is buried there. (from newadvent.org)

HOME PAGE