Historical and Commemorative Medals
Collection of Benjamin Weiss

CATHEDRAL AT TOURNAY

WIENER, Jacques and Leopold: Belgium, 1846, Bronze, 50 mm
Obv: Exterior of cathedral     Around: FONDEE PAR ST PIAT VERS 295, RAVAGEE PAR LES VANDALES, RECONSTte A L'EPOQUE MEROVINGIENNE LE CHOEUR OGIVAL ELEVE 1110, VOUTE PAR L'EVe ETIENNE 1198, TERMEE PAR WALTER DE MARVIS 1242 LA 1RE PIERRE DE LA RESTAUR: INTERRE POSEE 1840 DE LA RESION EXTERRE 1841
Exergue: EGLISE CATHEDRALE A TOURNAY
Rev: View of interior
Signed: J. ET L. WIENER F.
Ref: Van Hoydonck 21;  Reinecke 17; Weiss BW240

Tournai (Tournay) (Flemish Doornik) is the chief town in the province of Hainaut, Belgium, on the Scheldt.  Anciently it was the Civitas Nerviorum or Turnacum, and later became the capital of the kingdom of the Franks. A bishopric was founded in Tournai in 484, and in the twelfth century the noted cathedral of Notre Dame was built.

The cathedral is a mixture of architectural styles: it has a Romanesque nave and a Gothic choir. The transept, the most distinctive part of the building, has a cluster of five bell towers and apsidal (semicircular) ends.

LINK to photo of Cathedral at Tournay (from www.thais.it)

HOME PAGE