ST. BAVON AT GHENT
WIENER, Jacques and Leopold: Belgium, 1846, Bronze, 50 mm
Ghent is the capital of East Flanders, Belgium. It has retained more traces of its past than any other Belgian town. Among the old buildings grouped together at its center is the Gothic cathedral of St. Bavon. The cathedral was begun in the 12th century and was finished in the 16th century when its tower was completed. It contains, among many famous works of art, the great polyptych altarpiece The Ghent Alterpiece.
LINK to The Ghent Alterpiece by Hubert and Jan van Eyck (from WebMuseum)